400 views
1.8

New construction -- Builder recommended. Installed 20 windows, some fixed, some single-hung, some casement.

Supposed to be an upgrade from "builder quality." All moveable windows came from the factory with a defect that caused a grinding noise when moving the window. Took a crew the better part of a day to disassemble, re-drill *** then put a screw in where it should have been, then put it all back. This service call took over a month to schedule. Within a month after that call, I had 4 windows that were jammed, and I had discovered a cracked sill that I'm positive that I didn't damage.

So another service call, and another month waiting. Within another month, I had 4 windows that "drooped" -- they wouldn't stay open, and a catch that came off in my hand. Three weeks later, they show up and replace the catch and the springs on 4 windows. Two days later I had another drooping window.

Luckily, they were able to squeeze me in in only a week. They replaced the springs on that window, and claimed that they were having problems with a spring vendor that was delivering units with less than specified tension. Another two days, another drooping window. Phone calls to the warranty/service center haven't been returned in 3 days, so I don't know when they can get a technician back out (they sure know the way by now!) Unbeknownst to me, there are several grades of "Low-E" (Low Emission) glass (the glass blocks increasing levels of solar infrared radiation -- e.g., heat.) And my windows are the lowest grade -- their IR blockage is just a tad better than plain glass.

Given the extremely low quality, coupled with the abysmal customer service, my advice is, if given a choice, Run, don't walk away from Jeld-Wen windows! In a previous home, we replaced 31 windows with products made by Amerimax. They are outstanding!

Solid construction, very Low-E glass, excellent fit and installation, and I've NEVER had a problem with a stuck window, a broken latch, or drooping windows like I've had with Jeld-Wen. Highly Recommended.

Product or Service Mentioned: Jeld Wen Premium Window.

Location: Portland, Oregon